Whole House Water Softener 64000 Grain, 2 CU Resin, Fleck Timer Valve - Brine Tank - 1" Pipe Connection
- Fleck 5600 Softener Timer Control Valve
- Mineral Tank (Black,Almond or Blue) 12"x 54"
- Gravel 10 Lbs
- Softener Cation Resin
- 16 X 35 Brine Tank
- Distributor Assembly W/ Upper and Lower Screens
- 64000 Grains Cation
- Water Softener is an Ion Exchanger
- Hard Water with a high calcium/magnesium content enters the softener through the "in" port indicated by the green arrow. It passes through the control valve and in to the tank where it goes from top to bottom through a specially prepared resin that "softens" it, the resin consists of specially manufactured beads that have been saturated with sodium ions. Softening occurs as the hardness minerals in the water attach themselves to the resin and are "exchanged" for sodium. The softened water then enters the long center tube called a riser, via the strainer basket at the bottom of the tank and passes upward through the riser. Then water exits the softener via the control valve (Blue Arrow) and is sent to the desired location.
When the resin becomes saturated by hardness minerals, the softener automatically goes into re-generation. The re-generation process is initiated by a time or a meter depending on the type of softener. By this process the hardness minerals are washed down the drain and resin bed is rinsed, re-settled and re-charged with sodium, it is now ready again to soften your water. The re-generation process is accomplished by passing very salty water from the brine tank through the resin. The brine tank must remain filled with softener salt at all times so that it can re-generate the softening resin.